Professor of Basic Medical Sciences Department of Physiology Institute at University of Oslo, Adjunct Professor of Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology, Director of Norwegian Center for Stem Cell Research.
Development and evolution of the brain and spinal cord, neural networks, motor systems, spinal cord injury, neurophysiology, neuroanatomy, neuroembryology, stem cell biology, marine biology, invertebrate biology.
Research goals of the Joel Glover group in the Norwegian Center for stem cell research:
Our long term goal is to understand how specific sensorimotor circuits in the brain stem and spinal cord develop and how stem cells can be used both in potential replacement therapies for such conditions as spinal cord injury and as tools to better understand the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying neuronal patterning, differentiation and synaptic coupling. We are focusing in particular on the neuronal circuits that mediate the descending control of spinal motor programs and the ascending control of eye movements, including vestibulospinal, reticulospinal and vestibulo-ocular projections.
- Development of mammalian and avian reticulospinal, vestibulospinal and vestibulo-ocular projections, including molecular characterization of projection neuron subpopulations and optical and electrophysiological recording of synaptic activation patterns.
- Anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning of reticular and vestibular projection neurons, through fate-mapping and correlation with AP and DV patterning gene expression.
- Molecular, anatomical and physiological development of extraocular motoneurons.
Characterization of the molecular mechanisms underlying regulative regeneration in the embryonic spinal cord, wherein neural tissue spontaneously repairs itself through controlled proliferation and differentiation.
- Generation of neurons from human embryonic and adult somatic stem cells as a platform for developing regenerative treatments for spinal cord injury.
- Bjørnstad, Sigrid; Austdal, Lars Peter Engeset; Roald, Borghild; Glover, Joel & Paulsen, Ragnhild Elisabeth (2015). Cracking the egg: potential of the developing chicken as a model system for nonclinical safety studies of pharmaceuticals. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. ISSN 0022-3565. 355, s 386- 396. doi: 10.1124/jpet.115.227025
- Blacklaws, Jake; Deska-Gauthier, Dylan; Jones, Christopher T.; Petracca, Yanina L.; Liu, Mingwei; Zhang, Han; Fawcett, James P.; Glover, Joel; Lanuza, Guillermo M. & Zhang, Ying (2015). Sim1 is required for the migration and axonal projections of V3 interneurons in the developing mouse spinal cord. Developmental Neurobiology. ISSN 1932-8451. 75(9), s 1003- 1017. doi: 10.1002/dneu.22266
- Di Bonito, Maria; Boulland, Jean-Luc; Krezel, W; Setti, Eva; Studer, Michèle & Glover, Joel (2015). Loss of projections, functional compensation and residual deficits in the mammalian vestibulospinal system of Hoxb1-deficient mice. eNeuro. ISSN 2373-2822. doi:10.1523/ENEURO.0096-15.2015
- Joel, Mrinal; Mughal, Awais; Grieg, Zanina Zilic; Murrell, Wayne; Palmero, Sheryl; Mikkelsen, Birthe Viftrup; Fjerdingstad, Hege Brincker; Sandberg, Cecilie; Behnan, Jinan; Glover, Joel; Langmoen, Iver Arne & Stangeland, Biljana (2015). Targeting PBK/TOPK decreases growth and survival of glioma initiating cells in vitro and attenuates tumor growth in vivo. Molecular Cancer. ISSN 1476 -4598. 14:121. doi: 10.1186/s12943-015-0398-x
- Kasumacic, Nedim; Lambert, Francois Michel; Coulon, Patrice; Bras, Hélène; Vinay, Laurent; Perreault, Marie-Claude & Glover, Joel (2015). Segmental organization of vestibulospinal inputs to spinal interneurons mediating crossed activation of thoracolumbar motoneurons in the neonatal mouse. Journal of Neuroscience. ISSN 0270-6474. 35(21), s 8158- 8169. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5188-14.2015
- Sivertsen, Magne S.; Perreault, Marie-Claude & Glover, Joel (2015). Pontine reticulospinal projections in the neonatal mouse: Internal organization and axon trajectories. Journal of Comparative Neurology. ISSN 0021-9967. doi: 10.1002/cne.23904
- Bjørnstad, Sigrid; Paulsen, Ragnhild Elisabeth; Erichsen, Aage; Glover, Joel & Roald, Borghild (2014). Type I and II pneumocyte differentiation in the developing fetal chicken lung: Conservation of pivotal proteins from birds to human in the struggle for life at birth. Neonatology. ISSN 1661-7800. 105(2), s 112- 120. doi:10.1159/000355346
- Sivertsen, Magne S.; Glover, Joel & Perreault, Marie-Claude (2014). Organization of pontine reticulospinal inputs to motoneurons controlling axial and limb muscles in the neonatal mouse. Journal of Neurophysiology. ISSN 0022-3077. 112(7), s 1628- 1643. doi: 10.1152/jn.00820.2013
- Boulland, Jean-Luc; Lambert, Francois Michel; Züchner, Mark; Strøm, Susanne & Glover, Joel (2013). A neonatal mouse spinal cord injury model for assessing post-injury adaptive plasticity and human stem cell integration. PLoS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 8(8:e71701). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0071701
- Boulland, Jean-Luc; Mastrangelopoulou, Maria; Boqest, Andrew Craig; Jakobsen, Rune Bruhn; Noer, Agate; Glover, Joel & Collas, Philippe (2013). Epigenetic Regulation of Nestin Expression during Neurogenic Differentiation of Adipose Tissue Stem Cells. Stem Cells and Development. ISSN 1547-3287. 22(7), s 1042- 1052. doi:10.1089/scd.2012.0560